Sunday, November 15, 2009

Welcome to My Cottage

If you know me for any amount of time, you will soon discover that I'm a cottage-girl through and through. I love cottages. I'm not sure why that is. It may stem from my years growing up in Miami, Florida where the majority of the population lived in bungalow type dwellings. You had to make the most of the space you had, but, you didn't really mind it, as you were always close and cozy with the ones you loved.

Or, it could come from my passion for all things Irish, and the fantasy of ocean spray rising near the old thatched roof cottage of an Irish island village home. The emerald green grasses with various brilliant flowers spotted throughout. Can't you just hear the creaking of the old weathered gate with its white chipped and peeling paint?

Then, there's the quintessential Cape Cod style cottage, that has always made my heart pitter-patter (of which I'm blessed to say that I have the pleasure of living in). The feeling of history prevails. A simplified life. A lot of hard work, but beautiful work. Hand-sewing, home-made cooking, and reading by candlelight. We romanticize the cottage. We long for the illusion of simpler times that it brings. We wish that we could jump into a Thomas Kincade painting and revel in the beaty of it all. We long to breathe.

That's why I've started this blog. It's a celebration of cottage-living, and all that the dream entails. I'm a real person with a real job, with real pressures and stress. But, I have to say, living beautifully and simply has saved me. And, just so you know, you don't have to live in a cottage to live the cottage life. I hope you will enjoy my new blog.

Live a beautiful life!

XOXO CJ


My sweet hubby found this box of embroidered hankies that I thought I had lost a few years back. Most of them were my Grandfather's, and were given to me when he passed on. I quickly took to embroidering delicate flowers and designs on them, so that they would have a touch of femininity to them. I simply adore them. It keeps a part of Pap-Paw with me wherever I go.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely, CJ. Keeping it simple is difficult to do these days. Everyone always wants a piece (or more) of your time. It can eat up your week quickly. Good luck with the simplified life, and enjoy your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Nora. Yes, I've returned to me, so to speak. The last year or so, with the many transitions and trials I've had, kinda ate away at my creative spirit (both in writing and in creating the type of surroundings that I love). It is time to pick up my embroidery again, sip some tea, and breathe. Making time for what is important to my soul. I hope you'll join me (in spirit)! ;-) And, thank you for the encouragement! XOXO

    ReplyDelete