Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Thankful Heart

Every Thanksgiving, I revisit those things that I'm most grateful for... family, friends, wonderful employment, a place to live and call home, etc. Most years, my children were at the forefront of my heart and mind on Thanksgiving, as I was not supposed to have any. But, by the Grace of God, we were truly blessed to have two beautiful daughters, one through adoption and one through a miracle taking place in my body. We find so much joy in parenthood. For all of the tests, trials, and stretching of one's self that occurs when one becomes a parent, my hubby and I have found that we are better individuals because of the gift of our wonderful children.

This year, I had another thing to be very thankful for. In June, we were fortunate enough to detect that I had uterine cancer at the early stage of 1. After having surgery in July, I have the blessed assurance that I'll not have to deal with a cancer threat in the future. For that, my family and myself are truly thankful.

I hope that you and your family had a blessed Thanksgiving. Even in the darkest times, we can certainly think of something that we can be thankful and grateful for. Sometimes, when things seem difficult, or we're walking through a challenging situation, taking time to list those things that bring us joy can change our outlook on our current circumstances.

I've had my challenges myself. We all do. And, looking back over the past few years, I've found that during times of challenge or difficulty, I've let go of those various activities that have brought me sweet relief. I've decided that I, as a woman, cannot afford to do that. We, as women, are nurturers, creators, tactile individuals, who need to be functioning in a creative spirit. Since I've re-tapped into my creative side (whether it be decorating, baking, embroidering, etc), I'm finding that the stresses of my life are diminishing as I afford myself an artistic and inspired outlet.

Currently, I'm enjoying getting my new home organized and decorated. And, now that it's the Christmas Season, it makes it all the more exciting for me.


These are my most requested holiday treats that I make for my family. My pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. (Yes, I will send some to my Dad and brother, tucked in with their Christmas gifts!) These are such yummy drops of goodness! Soft like little pumpkin breads with melted chocolate throughout. OOOOHHHHHH!











I finally got my kitchen in perfect order! There's nothing like waking up in the morning with the sun peeping through the windows draped in batten burg lace, onto the pristine white walls and cranberry red accents. Not only does this yell "Christmas!" But, it reminds me of my Nanny, Gertrude's house, when I was little. Her whole cottage was dressed in red and white.




I had a thought...

My dining chairs were dark green (beautiful, but dark for the space). So, I took two sets of batten burg lace pillowcases that matched my curtains, and I slipped them over the chair backs. They make quaint slipcovers. Instant style!












A dear friend blessed me with this wooden swan for my birthday one year. I absolutely love "her." She sits out all year long, and I decorate her according to the seasons. For Christmas, I place a berry and pine cone wreath about her lovely neck.










These are a few of my hand-painted votive holders. I use to paint glass items fairly often. Even paid for Christmas one year by selling my painted votive holders, wine glasses, and mason jars.( I'll post more pics of my stuff later. If your interested in having me paint something for you, just shoot me an email, and I'd be happy to!)

It's a tradition in our home (if we are at home in Pennsylvania during Thanksgiving and not at "home" visiting the family in Florida) to decorate for Christmas on Thanksgiving night after we've eaten and made our rounds visiting friends. Bogie (the dancing wonder-dog) loves to have the tree go up. It affords him a peaceful place of
respite to lounge and nap.



(Personally, I think he's having sweet doggy-treat dreams.)



I hope that you are enjoying the beginning of the Christmas Season. Remember to breathe and to take things one at a time. It's a shame that such a lovely and delightful time of year can bring such stress and harried-ness if we allow it. Try not to. Keep a sense of remembrance of what this season means. Joy, peace, love, and much Grace.


Live the beautiful life!

XOXO CJ

2 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful! I'm so glad you're enjoying your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nora! I really need to get my schedule under control so that I may contribute more posts! I'm so glad you enjoy it! I hope you had a very Merry Christmas! XOXO

    ReplyDelete